Should we boycott goods from China? It isn’t possible, says Vivek Kaul. It isn’t desirable, adds Amit Varma. Welcome to episode 1 of Econ Central, a new weekly podcast that looks at India through the lens of economic thinking. Amit and Vivek also discuss parottas, chocolate sandesh and the masterpiece Ghachar Ghochar.
1. Econ Central Kicks Off — Preview episode of Econ Central.
2. India’s Economy in the Time of Covid-19 — Episode 177 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Vivek Kaul)).
3. It’s impossible to boycott Chinese products and brands — Vivek Kaul.
4. Easynomics: Why companies leaving China will not come to India — Vivek Kaul.
5. The dangers of India’s rising tariff walls — Vivek Kaul.
6. Trump and Modi are Playing a Lose-Lose Game — Amit Varma.
7. The Great Redistribution — Amit Varma.
8. A trade deficit with a babysitter — Tim Harford.
9. I, Pencil — Leonard Read.
10. What is Libertarianism? — Episode 117 of The Seen and the Unseen (w David Boaz)
11. The Libertarian Mind: A Manifesto for Freedom — David Boaz.
12. Explained: Why parotta gets charged a higher GST than roti — Aanchal Magazine.
13. GST — Episode 3 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Devangshu Datta).
14. GST Revisited — Episode 28 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Vivek Kaul).
15. The Bad and Complex Tax — Episode 74 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Shruti Rajagopalan).
16. Ghachar Ghochar — Vivek Shanbhag (translated by Srinath Perur).
17. Lists of suicide prevention helpline numbers: 1, 2, 3.