Dissenters are arrested, comedians are forced to apologise, online mobs are on the rampage. The incentives are aligned towards shutting up. Amit Varma and Vivek Kaul get together in episode 5 of Econ Central to talk about the economics of the chilling effect. Also discussed: the significance of Amitabh Bachchan getting Covid, and the dangers of dead capital.
2. Poet And Former Lecturer Varavara Rao Dying In Jail — Priya Ramani.
3. What Happened to Our Journalism? — Episode 178 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Nidhi Razdan).
4. Internet Hindus and Madrasa Muslims — Amit Varma (on group polarization).
5. You’re From the Mutton Lobby — Transcript of episode 49 of The Seen and the Unseen (solo episode on political discourse).
6. Stop Firing the Innocent — Yascha Mounk.
7. Bari Weiss’s resignation letter from the New York Times.
8. Choice and Consequence — Thomas C Schelling.
9. Misbehaving — Richard Thaler.
10. Micromotives and Macrobehaviour — Thomas C Schelling.
11. Helmet Safety Commercial with Coconut.
12. Cigarette in My Hand — Gary Lawyer’s anti-smoking commercial.
13. Homeopathic Faith — Amit Varma.
14. The Mystery of Capital — Hernando de Soto.
15. India Awakes — The full documentary on YouTube.
16. The Right to Property — Episode 26 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Shruti Rajagopalan).
17. India’s Agriculture Crisis — Episode 140 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Barun Mitra).
18. FSI in India — Episode 11 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Alex Tabarrok).
19. Twelve Dream Reforms — Episode 138 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Shruti Rajagopalan, Rajeswari Sengupta & Vivek Kaul).
20. Basic Economics — Thomas Sowell.
21. That Which is Seen, and That Which is Not Seen — Frédéric Bastiat.
22. Thomas Sowell & Frédéric Bastiat on Amazon.
23. Economics in One Lesson — Henry Hazlitt.
24. Beware of the Useful Idiots — Amit Varma.
25. How to Speak Money — John Lanchester.
26. Whoops! — John Lanchester.
27. India’s Problem is Poverty, Not Inequality — Amit Varma.
28. Marginal Revolution University.