Our economy goes down, down, down. Our stock market is hyped up, up, up. Amit Varma and Vivek Kaul make sense of this paradox in episode 6 of Econ Central. Also discussed: The economic principles behind good writing, the game theory behind rebellion in the Congress, and how both Amit and Vivek are enemies of Lutyens.
1. Steve Jobs and His Black Turtleneck — Amit Varma (on decision fatigue).
2. This Passing Moment — Amit Varma (on opportunity cost).
3. How to Escape From the Shallows — Amit Varma.
4. That Will Be England Gone — Michael Henderson.
5. If Gold Is a Bad Investment, so Are Stocks — Vivek Kaul.
6. A Sustained Bull Market? — Debashis Basu.
7. Radical Uncertainty — Mervyn King & John Kay.
8. A Game Theory Problem: Who Will Bell The Congress Cat? — Amit Varma.
9. Congress Crisis is Structural — Pradeep Chibber & Rahul Verma.
10. Political Ideology in India — Episode 131 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Rahul Verma),
11. Taking Stock of Our Republic — Episode 157 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Ram Guha).
12. Mohua Moitra interview by Barkha Dutt.
13. Who Moved My Interest Rate? — D Subbarao.
14. RBI Is Behaving Like a Football Goalkeeper — Vivek Kaul.
15. Of Football Goalkeepers, RBI Governor Subbarao and the Art of Doing Nothing — Vivek Kaul.
16. Green Shoots in the Desert Sand — Episode 2 of Econ Central (w discussion on poverty and inequality at the end).
17. India’s Problem is Poverty, Not Inequality — Amit Varma.
18. Books by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Steven Pinker, Philip Tetlock, Nate Silver & Per Bylund.
19. Fooled by Randomness — Nassim Nicholas Taleb.
20. The Blank Slate — Steven Pinker.
21. Superforecasting — Philip Tetlock & Dan Gardner.
22. The Seen, the Unseen and the Unrealised — Per Bylund.
23. Conversation and Society — Episode 182 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Russ Roberts).
24. Farmers, Technology and Freedom of Choice: A Tale of Two Satyagrahas — Amit Varma (on GMO foods).
25. The Audio Publishing Boom — Episode 11 of Publishing Perspectives (w Amit & Arcopol Chaudhuri among others).