There is a race to the bottom in Indian media. It is rational. Its reasons are structural. The state and society must share the blame. Amit Varma and Vivek Kaul explain why in episode 8 of Econ Central. Also discussed: public sector banks, our love for simple narratives and Raat Akeli Hai.
1. Raat Akeli Hai — Honey Trehan.
2. ‘Does he look depressed?’ — The Times Now tweet.
3. Television Price Controls — Episode 27 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Ashok Malik).
4. Why Are Indian News Channels so Disappointing? — Ashok Malik.
5. The top paid newsletters on Substack.
6. 1000 True Fans — Kevin Kelly.
7. 1,000 True Fans? Try 100 — Li Jin.
8. The State of the Media — Episode 46 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Prem Panicker).
9. The State of the Media 2 — Episode 89 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Sidharth Bhatia & Peter Griffin).
10. What Happened to Our Journalism? — Episode 178 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Nidhi Razdan).
11. Persuasion — Yascha Mounk’s newsletter.
12. Fighting Fake News — Episode 133 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Pratik Sinha).
13. Non-Performing Assets — Episode 32 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Vivek Kaul).
14. IL&FS and the Indian Financial System — Episode 91 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Vivek Kaul and Ashutosh Datar).
15. Overdraft — Urjit Patel.
16. Quest for Restoring Financial Stability in India — Viral Acharya.
17. The govt and RBI face a trilemma regarding PSBs — Vivek Kaul.
18. RBI’s forecast on NPAs has often missed the mark — Vivek Kaul.
19. Indian banks are in for a ₹20-trillion hole — Vivek Kaul.
20. Privatisation of banks is a great idea, and will remain so — Vivek Kaul.
21. Urjit Patel Ko Gussa Kyon Aata Hai? — Vivek Kaul.
22. Whose Money is it Anyway? — Amit Varma (on Milton Friedman’s four ways of spending money).
23. Indian Board President’s XI vs England XI, Vadodara, 2006.
24. The Evolution of Everything — Episode 96 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Matt Ridley).
25. Who Broke Our Republic? — Episode 163 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Kapil Komireddi).
26. The Economics of the Chilling Effect — Episode 5 of Econ Central.
27. Facts Don’t Matter. Stories do — Amit Varma (on Donald Trump & simple narratives).